Brink First Impressions

(C) Splash Damage












Brink is Bethesda and Splash Damage’s new Shooter. It was released yesterday (13/05/11) I bought it today (14/05/11) for Playstation 3. The game is set in the future on an island called the ark. The ark was built as a vision of green sustainable living. An environmental crisis became a reality, melting glaciers, rising sea levels, thousands have fled to the ark as a last hope. There is tension on the ark as forces fight for control of the Ark. 

At the start of the game you have to make a decision to escape the island and play as the resistance or save the island and play as the security forces, I chose to save the island which meant playing as the security forces.   You play as these people with very long faces, your characters are customisable and as you gain xp you unlock new outfits for your character. The graphics are pretty good, and the character animation is good. The game reminds me a lot of the splash damage game quake wars as the classes are the same, medic, engineer, soldier and operative also the fact that you can choose to wait for a medic or spawn with reinforcements.  There are 3 ways to play the game, play through campaign in order, or you can do free play where you play the levels in any order, and challenge mode where you complete challenges in order to gain xp to level up and to unlock costumes for your character.  However the control scheme isn’t great the controls  felt quite awkward but that’s just me if it’s not like the cod controls i have become used to it’s not right, also I found that I kept getting downed and when the medics came to rescue me they got killed , the ai isn’t great but until PSN comes back up I’m stuck playing with bots.

So far I am pretty impressed by brink; stay posted as I will have a full review to come soon.

By Robert Leat   
(C) Robert Leat 2011
site founder and Editor and chief, 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Leat's Tech Corner